Name of Firm: Aurecon
- Aurecon – MD Clients (Africa) and Client Director for Transport (Africa) – been with Aurecon (Africon) for 10 years. Serve on Africa Exco, RSA Boards and member of the top 40 leadership groups at a global level.
- Prior to this role spent three years as the Regional Director for Aurecon Gauteng looking after the Gauteng operations including Lynwood Bridge.
- Have also spent several years as the Sector Leader for Transport in South Africa for Africon prior to then becoming Global Head of Transport Industry role at Aurecon at the time of the merger.
- CSIR served as the Executive Director of the Transport Division and subsequently Executive Director of Strategic Relationship Management and Executive Director of the National Research Centres. Spent 14 years at the CSIR. Early career at the CSIR included unit manager of roads and road maintenance units.
- Lectured at PenTech now Caput as Lecturer in the CE Department – 10 years.
Highest qualification – MSc and MEng from UC Berkeley and BEng and GDE from UCT.
Served in many boards, associations over the years
Immediate Past President
Name of Firm: Sabita
Education: Bcom degree and a Civil Engineering Certificate Saied Solomons spent 30 years in the oil industry with Mobil / Engen in various functions covering engineering, distribution, sales and marketing across all product lines. Joined the executive board as the Director for HSEQ whereafter he moved on to take on the Role of Sales & marketing Director. Has been in the post as Ceo Sabita for the past five years. Holds a Bcom degree and a Civil Engineering Certificate.
3M Technical Manager in Transport Safety Division, supporting the reflective sheeting business.
Vusi has 6 years industry experience in traffic and road safety specializing in the reflective products and technology.
He is constantly working with municipalities in KZN, Limpopo, Northern Cape and Gauteng on road sign improvement by helping with the drafting of specification on reflective material and road markings. He further works with various sign manufacturers on sign fabrication and introduction of new technologies as well as introducing new 3M reflective sheeting to the industry.
He has trained municipal engineers on the Science of Reflectivity and its use on the road signs. He also made presentation at the road safety drive with Brake and Tyre Watch.
In 2016 he was a driver of the 3M Taxi Conspicuity Tape Campaign promoting Taxi compliance and visibility with the SANTACO and JMPD for the Gauteng taxi industry.
He is advocating for the use of fluorescent technology for Vulnerable Road Users safety, which is at testing stage with the Botnar Challenge in Mogale City
Vusi started actively participating in SARF activities in 2013 and he has served as the reginal chairperson for the Northern Region (2015-2016).
He is an active member on the SABS technical committee as well as South African Road Traffic Sign Manufacturers Association (SARTSMA).
He holds a National Diploma in Chemistry from Wits Tech and Management Development Program from Gibs.
Have served over 16 yrs in Gas and Chemical industries holding positions of Laboratory and Projects Manager.
Name of Firm: SANRAL
BSc (Engineering) Civil – UCT (2002)
BEng (Hons) Transportation Eng – UP (2014)
Registrations: ECSA – Professional Engineer No.20120321
SAICE Associate Member No.20085212
Member of the World Roads Association (PIARC) Technical Committee
Graduate Engineer Gauteng Department of Transport and Public Works (200)
Resident Engineer Goba (Pty) Ltd (2003 – Sept 2012)
Assistant Engineer Royal HaskoningDHV (Pty) Ltd,
Haywards Heath UK (2007)
Project Manager Coega Development Corporation (Oct 2012 – Feb 2013)
Project Manager South African National Roads Agency Limited (Current)
Candidate Engineer with 3+ years of experience in Traffic Engineering, Road Safety Initiatives, Overloading and Weighbridge Operations.
Candidate Engineer – 02/2016 to Present
N3 Toll Concession, Irene, Centurion
- Develop and maintain a network strategy to monitor and analyse traffic
- Maintain a traffic database. Analyse traffic impact studies, origin and destination studies conducted by developers
- Compile and review traffic projections for the traffic model in order to update from time to time
- Calculate and submit toll tariff adjustments. Revenue loss calculations as a result of varies incidents on the route
- Road Safety
- Compile and analyse road incidents
- Route Analysis identifying accident hotspots and trends
- Generate Incident Management Systems Reports
- Monitor Operations of Traffic Control Centre
- Develop and maintain a network strategy to monitor and analyse overloading
Laboratory Assistant – 01/2015 to 12/2015
Prepare samples for testing using various laboratory equipment. Conduct laboratory tests, analyze results, and document findings.
Supplemental Instructions Leader– 02/2015 to 11/2015
Prepare handouts, quizzes, and other learning aids for SI sessions.
Bachelor of Science: Civil Engineering – 2016
University of KwaZulu Natal, KZN
Bachelor of Science: Civil Engineering
Turtle Life Support (Certificate): Health and Safety Representative Course
Higher National Diploma in Civil Engineering at Natal University of Technology
Certificate in Marketing and Market research from University of South Africa.
Global Road Safety Leadership Programme -John Hopkins University(2019)
- SARF runs 50 Road related Technical training courses in Southern Africa, SARF trained 1750 delegates in 2019
- Basil currently serves as a Board Member of IMESA (Institute for Municipal Engineers South Africa)
- Resident Engineer on Contract CY93 Module 2- building the biggest shunting yard in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Technical Bitumen and Emulsion Product Advisor: 1989-1995
- Bitumen Emulsion Factory Manager Tosas :1995-2000
- Tosas Supply and Export manager: 2000 -2004
- Total South Africa Bitumen manager:2004 to 2009
- Roadspan Group Sales and Marketing manager: 2009 to 2010
- 2010 to current South African Road Federation-Operations Director
- Served as a Director on the SABITA Board from 2004 to 2009
- Served as a Director on the Global Road Safety Project South Africa (GRSP) from 2012 to 2014
- Basil has been married to Marieli for 39 years and they have two children Dylan and Tarryn